Ref: 1214938Nationality: South African
Highest Formal Qualification: Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours degree)
Total years experience: 6-10 Years
Current / most recent job title?
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
- Providing therapy to learners with Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, developmental delays, sensory and perceptual difficulties.
- Support and assist educators within the classroom setting – make recommendations and involve other relevant members of the team ensuring a holistic approach is used.
- Plan and execute individual therapy sessions and provide home programmes where applicable.
- Provide on-going support to parents and guardians by means of meetings, workshops/training opportunities, parent support groups, etc.
- Provide assistive devices where applicable and educate the learner and parent in their uses.
- Evaluate new learners, provide reports on findings and assist with classroom placements.
- Continuous assessment and monitoring of enrolled learners’ progress and functioning within the school environment as well as keeping parents/guardians involved in this process.
- Maintain a professional role within the team (speech therapist, occupational therapist, social worker, nursing sister, SBST, classroom educator, assistant etc.) and ensuring decisions made are to the learners’ best interest.
- Provide information regarding school-placement and after-care centres to parents, guardians and the public in general.
- Provide information and assist parents with obtaining disability grants when applicable.
- Control and co-ordinate LTSM and equipment which is used and required in the Therapy Department.
- Assist the Gauteng Department of Education with outreach projects (as part of the school’s Resource Centre) such as evaluating and reporting on learners of the communities’ abilities and recommending possible placements if they are not candidates for the school.
- Participate in agreed school/educator IQMS process in order to regularly review my professional practice with the aim of improving teaching, learning and management.
- Remain informed of current developments in the field of Occupational Therapy and curriculum development by attending workshops and courses.
- Organising SBST Training sessions.
- Perform and assist with planning of fundraisers such as Autism Run and the Annual Market, coordinate and publish the CONNEWS Newsletter, organize school events such as athletics, prize giving, social evenings, etc.
2. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
A well organised, compassionate, hardworking, and dedicated occupational therapist who is flexible and able to adapt to challenges when they arise while remaining aware of professional roles and boundaries. Having experience in working with learners with special needs and their families within the school setting for the past 9 years. A committed occupational therapist who strives towards working together in a multidisciplinary team in order to reach set goals.
3. Skill area of competence:
Clinical skills based on experience:
- Learner assessment: Assess learner’s level of functioning in order to identify barriers to learning by means of screening and administering formal and informal assessments.
- Intervention plan development: Develop learner-specific therapy plans within the team.
- Intervention implementation: Provide therapy to learners with special needs focusing on activities of daily living, fine motor abilities, gross motor abilities, sensory strategies, physical limitations, and life skills.
- Parent support: Compile relevant home programs and provide parental guidance when necessary.
- Educator support: Compile IEPs together with educators and work towards achieving their goals.
Administration and Management Skills
- Engage in continuous professional development activities.
- Record keeping and report writing.
- Supervising occupational therapy students.
- Policy development.
- Manage therapy support materials, equipment, and assistive devices.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft programs.
Occupational Therapist – 9 years
5. What do you absolutely love doing?
I have a special interest in Cerebral Palsy, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Down Syndrome, Autism, developmental delays as well as perceptual and sensory difficulties.
Additional information available on request.
If you are looking for an Occupational Therapist of this calibre, she is available to meet with you on an exploratory basis so do get in touch.
Click to email our Agent or call us: Head Office – Gauteng, SA. + 27 10 597 0862.
Searchable spreadsheet of candidates: (#engineering_candidates) http://bit.ly/MicheleVPs
All available positions (#job_search) http://bit.ly/MicheleJA
Register as a (#technical_candidate) http://bit.ly/MicheleInc
Enshrine Placements your Technical and Engineering Recruitment Partner in Africa.